Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Thoughts on Sunday school attendance in 2013

January 16, 2013

Well, my last blog was last January 2012! Pretty poor showing, I guess. But, better late than never.  Here are some thoughts on Sunday school attendance in another new year.

Clearly, we no longer live in the era when people attend church as a habit; likewise for children, youth and adults attending Sunday school. I know church is competing with sports and that lives are very busy, very scheduled. I also  know that, if parents find nourishment and engagement at church, they are likeliest to bring their children consistently. And vice versa! And I do believe that the Story of God's People (aka the Bible) is a Story worth hearing and becoming part of (and maybe rewriting!) - whatever our age. That is why I come to church. That is why I am the Director of Children's Ministries, so that I can tell the Story to children, and in the telling, hear something new in it each time. Not just because I like strange old stories, but because this Story gives my life purpose and meaning, as well as the less industrial duo -- joy and hope! These things come in pretty handy as one goes through life. Plus, they can change at least small parts of our world.

Currently, our average Sunday school attendance is at about 50% of the children whose parents are members or regular attenders -- which matches the percentage of members who attend worship. Probably not a coincidence. In any case, I hear from many of you that you think we've got a good program going here, so please help me solve the mystery of the other 50%! If you are one of our members or regular attenders whose children do not attend Sunday school often, please feel free to blog, email or call to think out loud with me about the reasons for that. If you and your children do attend regularly, I want to know what keeps you coming.

Thanks for reading and thinking. I look forward to hearing from you --

Kindly,

Rachel M Clark

Director of Children’s Ministries
Falls Church Presbyterian
703-532-6518, X 103




1 comment:

  1. If you’re “Christian beliefs” include refusing to teach scientifically established fact that is incorporated into the curriculum you are hired to teach, then yes, “It is [sic] certianly considered good to fire Christians for their beliefs in government run schools.” I would go so far as to say not only good, but necessary.Click Here

    ReplyDelete